The first thing I had to do after I got the playfield back was to put everything back on it. I had removed the majority of the subassemblies underneath to help reduce the shipping weight, and minimize the chance of damage. One of the last things I replaced was the upper flipper assembly.



Here's a picture of the upper flipper assembly. Notice how the stop bracket on the left is thicker than the coil bracket on the right.



And these are two of the screws that hold these parts in place. Notice how one is a little longer than the other (and the rest). I assume that's because the flipper stop is thicker than the other brackets, so it has longer screws. I wish I had noticed this before I mounted the thinner bracket with the longer screw.



Notice how the longer screw just started to poke through the playfield. It just pushed the surface of the wood up, which of course pushed the clear coat up with it, and made a bubble. It's hard to tell in the photo above, but the bubble is poking up pretty high, and there's no way I can flatten it back down.


The first thing I did was FREAK OUT! Then I screamed and yelled. Then I called Bill Davis and told him what happened. He told me how to fix it and sent me some small bottles of the clear resin and hardner. He also sent some 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper and some rubbing compound. What a nice guy! The stuff arrived in a few days and I got to to work.



The first thing I did was very carefully cut out the bubble. I used an Exacto knife with a chisel blade and just cut a small circle of clear around the bubble.



Of course the paint came up with it


Next I bought some acrylic paint and mixed up what looked like a perfect match for the blue. I painted a couple of coats and when it dried, I put the first application of clear coat in the hole. I did this once every day and it took about 6 applications before the hole was filled. I filled it so it was just above the rest of the finish. What I failed to notice was how much darker the clear coat made the paint. So much for matching the color.

Anyway, I gave the last application 2 days to dry, then I sanded the area with a small block of wood wrapped with 1500 grit sand paper. I sanded in a circular motion until the bump was sanded down and the whole area felt flat. Then I sanded some more with 2000 grit, which reduced the scratches from the first sanding down to just a haze. Then I polished that with Novus #2 and the original gloss returned. It took about 2 hours of sanding and polishing. Here's how it turned out - too bad the paint got so dark


Sigh - 2 months of waiting, and over $200 for the clear and touch-up, and I screw it up in nothing flat.

When you're playing the machine, you can't even notice it, but you can bet that I do.



[Steve's Page] [Pinball] [Joker Poker] [Joker Poker Clear Coat]


Created 2/22/03 - Last Modified 2/22/03 - Steve Kulpa Mail Icon Nolensville, TN
Remove the NO_S*P*A*M_ to reply

All content posted on this page, unless otherwise noted, is the exclusive property of Steve Kulpa
and may not be borrowed, copied, downloaded, reproduced, or pilfered in any way with out prior permission